University of Iowa
College of Law
University of Minnesota
Carlson School of Management
Required fields are denoted with an asterisk.
Dave Rein provides creative solutions for mid-size and startup companies to acquire, maintain, monetize and protect their copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets and patents with a focus on manufacturing technology, emerging technologies, architecture, visual arts, food processing, and the energy industry.
His practice includes trademark prosecution and maintenance of trademark registrations as well as ExParte and Inter Partes practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. It also includes filing and prosecuting copyright registration applications before the United States Copyright Office, Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Proceedings and DMCA takedown notices.
He has extensive experience in litigating intellectual property issues throughout the country in federal court and in arbitration. Dave’s litigation background provides a critical foundation in drafting and negotiating licenses, joint venture agreements, manufacturing agreements, assignments and other contracts involving intellectual property rights as he has an appreciation of the problems that arise with contract disputes.
He also teaches intellectual property as an Adjunct Law Professor at the University of Missouri in Kansas City and began his career as a law clerk to the Honorable Dean Whipple in the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri.
He is active in the American Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Section serving as the chair of the Copyright Committee, member of the Trademark Litigation committee, board member of both the Books Board and Membership Board and as the former Vice-chair of the Copyright Division. Dave is admitted to practice in Colorado, Kansas and Missouri.
Dave is also a frequent speaker on Intellectual Property issues:
- “Intellectual Property for Small Business”, Denver Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (May 5, 2016).
- “Copyright 2015 at a Gallop”, American Bar Association’s Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference (April 8, 2016).
- “Copyright 2014 at a Gallop”, American Bar Association’s Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference (March 26, 2015).
- “Copyright Current Developments,” Midwest Intellectual Property Institute (May 2, 2014).
- “Copyright 2013 at a Gallop”, American Bar Association’s Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference (April 4, 2014).
- “Copyrights in APIs: Oracle v. Google”, Panel Presentation, American Bar Association Annual Meeting, Presidential CLE Series (August 10, 2013).
- “New Cases in Copyright Law – Internet and Beyond”, Practicing Law Institute (July 8, 2013).
- “Can I Copy That? A Busy Year in Copyright”, Missouri Bar Intellectual Property Section (May 10, 2013).
- “Creatives & Copyright”, Greater Kansas City Art Association (January 16, 2013).
- “Creatives Do Copyright”, Kansas City Art Institute (November 8, 2012).
- “A Kiss is not a Contract; Contracts for Musicians”, Kansas City Volunteer Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts Musician’s Boot Camp (September 8, 2012).
- “New Cases in Copyright Law – Internet and Beyond”, Practicing Law Institute (July 9, 2012).
- “Another Coat of Primer: Copyrights”, Greater Kansas City Artist Association (February 13, 2012).
- “A Kiss is not a Contract; Contracts for Musicians”, Kansas City Volunteer Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts Musician’s Boot Camp (September 10, 2011).
- “Finding Commercial Value in Copyrights”, Association of University Technology Managers (July 25, 2011).
- “Zen and the Art of Law: Business Structure, Intellectual Property, and Basic Contract Issues Facing Artists”, Wichita University for KCArtistsLink (February 19, 2011).
- “Trademark Trials Before the TTAB”, Lawyers Association of Kansas City Intellectual Property Seminar (December 1, 2010).
- “The Art of the Contract for Writers”, Writer’s Place (October 6, 2010).